Enough complaining! My first class ended early today, so some friends and I went into the only department store in Barcelona to find some school supplies. (I really was unprepared --> no paper, no pens/pencils, no sheets, no toiletries...) The store was very nice and had probably 6 floors, which were all accessible via escalator. They had everything, ranging from furniture to makeup, electronics to clothes. It was called El Corte Inglés. You truly don't realize how tough it is to live in a city or visit a destination where you cannot fluently speak their language. And I have gained even more respect for people who are bilingual (or tri, or more) after only 2 days in Barcelona. So, needless to say, asking for directions is very difficult. After my second class, one of my roommates and another student who we met (the guy from Canada) chose to walk back from class to our apartment. We honestly had no idea where we were going, but after some exploring and picture-taking, we eventually found our street name and just stayed on that road for about 20 minutes and it got us home safely. It took us about an hour to get from school to our aparment, but this was our first time very doing it. I would say that if you knew the route and didn't take pictures every 5 minutes, then it's probably about a 30 minute trek. I really enjoyed taking this walk because we got to see some of the places we saw yesterday on our bus tour in up close and in person. AND we finally found postcards and I had Euros on me this time, so I bought more than enough to keep some extra pictures that were taken by people with camera skills far far greater than mine. Also, there is a diner-esque cheeseburger restaurant with the old-school booths and a car in the wall (as well as some of the menu is in English) in between our apartment and campus, so if I ever crave a cheeseburger or some American food, then I found my go-to place. And we saw a Godiva chocolate shop, as well as many on one of the routes to the metro station (the subway that we take to get to school). It's too bad that I left my free membership card at home! You know, the one that entails you to one free truffle a month. I wonder if they'd even accept it over here? We ended the trip with a sweet photo of an apartment complex, which had maroon AND orange awnings on most of the decks. Go Hokies!
Godiva shop near our apartment
sorry for my finger in the shot, i'm a rookie! The Gaudi house
another chocolate boutique
A chocolate porcupine, I think?
bakery
One of the farmacy signs, but I can't tell the difference between the red and the green signs
no idea, but there's a Volkswagon shop on the bottom floor!
bull statue
inside Big J's burger shop
Big J's burger shop
maroon and orange, Go Hokies!
No comments:
Post a Comment